1.Welcome to CHIA - in a flooded Hoi An

After weeks of anticipation, I have finally touched down in central Vietnam for a voluntary assignment that I obtained through AFID  https://www.afid.org.uk/page/1/About i.e. Accounting for International Development.  They are a UK-based social enterprise that organise vital financial capacity management to various non-profit organisations.  Since 2007 they have placed over 1250 accountants from more than 50 countries from 2 weeks to several months in around 500 non-profit partners globally, that's beyond 250,000 hours.  I am hoping to add 70 hours to that number!
It's Day 1 of my two weeks at CHIA  - http://www.childrenshopeinaction.org/.  This inspiring NGO offers life-saving programs on health, disability, housing, and water and sanitation to disadvantaged children and families in the Quang Nam province that are barely surviving on less than $3USD a day.
My usual London train commute is great at c30minutes, but here it is a 5 minutes walk!  One could view the addition of wading through floods and torrential winter rain as a downside, but a good pair of flip-flops and an attractive poncho adds to the experience!
I met with Dung the general manager, her staff plus volunteers from Australia, all a friendly team eager to share their passion for CHIA and take me through the financial systems, and I've written up a very satisfying to do list for ticking off.  Unfortunately the rain sabotaged travel plans for the disabled children for their regular therapies at the centre so I've been told it's quiet today, but as schools are closed I had the welcome addition of two co-workers - Dung's angelic children!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7.Village visit to a sponsored family

8.Xmas for the CHIA children, and the grown up children too!

9.It's not Goodbye...